This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.
 

Patient Participation Group - St Clements Surgery Waiting Room

Meeting held on Wednesday 13.9.17 from 5.30-7pm

      Present

 

 

Herman Huyg, Dr.Rohit Kotnis, Dr.Liam Linney,

David Messer, Dr.Ibiye Adoki, Dr.Basil Hernandez Diaz, Barbara Twinn, Weiwei Mao, Roger Zetter, Richard Foggitt, Nargis Begum, Sophie Huxley, Judi Jessop,

Dr.Lydia van Hamel-Parsons and Lorna Flynn from AccuRx.

Chair: Nargis Begum was Chair for this meeting only.

New members:David Messer - and congratulations to

Weiwei Mao as our new Practice Manager

 

     Apologies for absence

Susie Ash, Sarah Mossop, Julie Wild,

Sarah Wild, Parnell Humphrey, Carol Leeson

     Item 1

Confirmation of Minutes for Meeting held on 26/4/17

The Minutes were confirmed

 

      Item 2

 

Outstanding Action Points

Practice Manager Weiwei explained that we have a new external company called Mjog running auto-text messaging system to replace the preivous NHS.net. She has done some training to know how to send text messages to patients, especially for this season’s flu campaign. Mjog cannot extract our data due to confidentiality, so currently Mjog can’t send auto text messages to patients for their test results directly from the clinical system. But the Mjog can text messages to patients reminding them of booked appointments.

 

Therefore the receptionists can give blood test results over the telephone, and if any abnormal test results received then the doctors will contact patients.

 

Flu Jab Campaign to commence in October and advertising is already up in the Waiting Room. The new company will also send reminder messages to all relevant patients encouraging them to make appointments to receive their Flu Jab.

 

For patients to register to the service it is best to come into the Surgery and fill in a form with the Receptionists. We have a 10% target for patients to register this Online Patient Access Service. We had a discussion about how to make on-line appointments and order repeat prescriptions via the system.

 

An appointments Access Poster has been designed and a small leaflet containing the same information by Wei Wei. Opening times leaflet will be given to all new patients. An updated leaflet will include the new seven day appointments details (colloboration with other Oxford GP surgeries – OxFed).

 

      Item 3

AccuRx

Lydia van Hamel-Parsons and Lorna Flynn from AccuRx introduced themselves and the following is a summary of who they are and what they brought to our meeting:

 

They are a small startup, called AccuRx, based in London and are developing software to reduce inappropriate antibiotic prescribing, to help tackle antimicrobial resistance. Clinicians understand the need to make this a priority, but it is difficult under daily pressures.  They therefore add value to doctor and nurse consultations by saving time, creating more detailed notes which are coded better for audit purposes. They are also improving patient experience, education around antibiotics and patient safety by sending personalised patient advice by text message and through printed leaflets. They are working with the Oxfordshire CCG and Oxford University to run a pilot, which will hopefully lead to a future, randomised control trial investigating the effectiveness of their software. St Clements have AccuRx software installed on their computers.

 

Lydia and Lorna came to St Clements PPG to gain feedback on their patient advice leaflets. They introduced themselves and AccuRx (Lydia van Hamel-Parsons, GP trainee and Clinical Lead for AccuRx, and Lorna Flynn, User Researcher). They then spent 5 minutes each on two activities.  One was to ask members of the PPG to tell them what we would expect from a patient leaflet given to us following a consultation with a nurse or GP for a common infection.  The next task was for PPG members to look at their new patient advice leaflet for sore throat and give them feedback on it.

 

In summary, users were generally impressed with the advice leaflet, and particularly liked the tailored/personalised aspect. They gained opinions on what should be included in the leaflet, and whether the style and visual appeal needed improvement.

 

They thanked the PPG meeting and said it was a pleasure to meet everyone and it was a very valuable session for them.

 

 

      Item 4

 

Chairperson

No one has come forward to be Chair of the PPG.

 

Dr Kotnis indicated that he wants the Chair not to be an onerous task. He asked if we need a Chair?

 

If we think it is too onerous then maybe we should have a rotating Chair and a suggestion of ever 6 months was put forward. The 6-month tenure would only include 2 meetings. It was noted that new members might not be keen.

 

Is anyone available in the City PPG Forum to come to our meeting to talk to us and give us ideas of what they are looking for? We all thought it would be useful to know exactly what is expected from a Chair of our meetings.

 

Richard and Nargis talked about the duties previous Chairs have had. It was highlighted that any member of the PPG group could go to the Federation meetings, and it does not have to be Chair, which was what happened previously.

Weiwei to find out the list of annual City PPG Forum meetings and to forward to all PPG members or email Nargis who is best to contact for this. Nargis to then contact the Chair of the PPG Forum to get the dates and their content, and will send round a list of these meetings to all PPG members.

 

 

      Item 5

City Patient Participation Groups event 5/7/17 and Feedback

Weiwei, Sue, Sarah and Herman attended the City Patient Meeting. It was a ‘heated’ meeting.

 

Our Practice will not be forced to merge if we have no difficulties. If under 8000 patients and we get into difficulty they will not automatically disperse patients. One solution recently in Oxford was that Kennington got help from Botley. In the future the CCG may up the numbers to 10000.  They are testing our PPG Groups to see what we respond.  We must make sure we do respond.  Not easy as daytime meetings. 

 

There are other standards to meet. CCG Inspections will look at patients feedback etc. Our Practice is not worried as we give good standard of care. They really want 20,000 Hub Practices e.g. 4 in Oxford. Sadly our Practice is losing a few patients from the Bellerby College due to their closure, as we are their nominated school GP. Also Brexit may decrease applications from overseas. Practice will find out the figure of patients in October. We have a good team of Doctors here. Dr. Kotnis said the numbers of trainee Doctors in Oxford is falling as they cannot afford to live here

 

 

    Item 6   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

     Item 7

 

I

    Item 8

Surgery News

East Oxford Collaboration – the 7 day Pilot is continuing.  It has been extended to Nurse/Receptionist/Paramedics etc.  We have not had to refer many patients, and we do not want to send our patients to an evening practice with another Doctor.

It was discussed that this initial collaboration might beheading towards future possible Hubs – this is speculation and nothing further can be determinded.

 

Other Surgery News – Practice Nurse Gifty is still continuing her training. HCA Dee has done her training but needs more supervision to complete it. Aa A Locum nurse (Tuesday pm) can deal with minor illness and prescribing, etc.  All training should be completed by the end of the year.

 

Weiwei is now the permanent Practice Manager and the Group congratulated her on her successful application. WeiWei was previously acting up as the Practice Manager to cover maternity leave.

 

The Practice Secretary now has been added as a new title – HR Lead

Patient Comment Book

Weiwei said that most comments were about waiting times and lack of information from the Receptionists. Few comments about queuing for appointments.

 

Friends and Family Forms – only a few responses.  If patients use the on-line company we may get more responses in future.  We want patients to respond by texts and there are also forms in the waiting room but they are not easy to find. It was suggested that they should be more accessible and perhaps given to patients by Receptionists.  Discussion about the continual annoying text messages received from NHS England after every appointment, which might explain our low SMS response rate. Suggestions were made on how to improve this (e.g. a URL link to all the questions) but these would unlikely be implemented, as they are part of NHS England.

Any Other Business

Discussion about the many posters on the waiting room walls:

It was noted that there are too many and it is confusing to find what you are looking for. Herman Huyg suggested we have a touch screen where we could push a button to search for an item.

Alternatively it was also suggested that leaflets could be categorised into sections to simplify it. Herman has offered to investigate this and to put it all together if we want to go ahead. Dr Kotnis suggested that the boards are split into themes so as to make it easier to collect information. WeiWei to look into the possibilities of this.

 

It was also suggested that all NHS information could perhaps be on the TV Screen, and there are certain posters that we are legally bound to display on the walls of the waiting room.

 

One of the receptionists and her partner have offered to paint the waiting room walls. Doctors and other staff will look at the waiting room to decide if it does need decorating.

      Item 9

Date for next Meeting

January 2018 – date to be confirmed later.

WeiWei will send out the next meeting dates.

Meeting Ended at 7.10pm

 
Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website